Jacob 2:18-19

Lately I have been pretty stressed out about money. Who isn't these days though, right? It is just tough to see more and more bills coming in when our income is staying exactly the same. Most months I have no idea how we make it since when we add it all up, we don't make enough to cover those bills. Also, the bonus we were supposed to get this month isn't happening - I'm still trying to work out exactly how everything is going to get paid for. For about the past week I have been wondering if I should try and find a job a couple nights a week to bring in some extra money just to help cover bills - I kept thinking and thinking about it and all weekend I have been praying to know what to do because I just never felt right or completely comfortable with the decision to find a job. Today when I opened up my scriptures this is what I read:

"But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good -- to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and afflicted."

It's nothing I haven't read before but it really stood out to me this time. I immediately knew that my focus right now should not be on how to make more money, but instead on things a little more important. I am obviously supposed to be learning something right now by being in this situation - so I need to make the best of it. And it was a good reminder that when we do start making more money, it is not so that we can buy more things for ourselves - but so that we are in a better situation to help those around us. I still am not sure how our bills are going to get paid, but once again I think back to the quote "faith is an openness to possibilites." Being open to the possibility that maybe we can make it on our small income. Maybe we can make it work with what we've got -- I just need to figure out how. And I need to rely on my Heavenly Father and my "hope in Christ" to do that.

5 comments:

Jeannette & Brandt said...

You're amazing and everything will definitely work out. Have you ever heard of amazon moms? You can get diapers for really cheap and they ship them to you for free. I have saved a lot of money doing that. Also, diapers.com does the same thing. Also, I am reading this book that I think you would love. Its called Mothering With Spiritual Power. Seriously AMAZING. I could not put it down. It's about a mother of five who takes scriptures from the book of mormon and just relates them to her life as a mom. It is definitely worth every penny!

Lesa said...

That is a wonderful scripture. We've been going through similar things and it's just so hard to know what to do at times. Pay tithing or pay a bill? Work or stay home with my child? I'm going to try to remember that scripture! Thanks so much for sharing it. And everything will work out. Things always do when you have faith! :)

Lizzie - Dancing Toad Photography said...

I love it. I needed this. Thank you. :)
PS.. I hope everything is going well for you! It's been a long time!

Jeff and Kay said...

Hey so I have been stressing about the same things lately and I found this blog it is on my blog list under coupons and deals and it is called money saving mom. She has some awesome ways to save money and still be a stay at home mom. She has these sections like 31 days to a smaller grocery budget and stuff and I love them. She also talks about different budgets and Jeff and I are trying out the envelope system. She has deals on there about diapers and stuff as well. You should really look into it.

smwaters said...

In the book "My Orange Duffel Bag," I read the statement: Hope is not a strategy. What I love about your blog is that you have hope in Christ but you take action based on your faith. Setting up the envelope system, using coupons, making things last, etc. all show that you don't just "hope" things work out. These actions lay a foundation of financial prudence that will last throughout your life. Thanks for your example.