The Past Year

Looking back over the past year, I think that tiny little newborn-turned toddler has taught me a thing or two...


Birth - September 2010
- Having a baby has made me an emotional basket case. But gosh, do I love it more than life itself.
2 weeks
- Being a stay at home mom was something I was born to do. Not because its easy for me or that I am super good at it (ha ha ha), I just know this is what I am supposed to be doing right now in my life. And I wouldn't trade it for the world. Gordon B. Hinckley said it best when he said "women who make a house a home make a far greater contribution to society than those who command large armies or stand at the head of impressive corporations." And that is not because commanding armies or managing businesses are not important - they are. But everything starts in the home. People begin to become who they are in the home.  And that is where my greatest priorities lie - in my home. Does this mean that those who are not stay at home mom's are not doing their best? Absolutely not. And just because you are one does not make you better than those who aren't.
1 Month
- Its kind of important to get dressed and leave your house once in a while. Maybe if I would have left my house more than like, twice, that first month I wouldn't have been so emotional? Maybe.
2 Months
-Hold your baby as much as you can. You cannot spoil a newborn and they need to be with you.
Babywearing makes a more confident baby - not a more dependent/clingy one.
3 Months
-The dishes and laundry can always be done later. But the time to play with and snuggle your baby will pass. Read books and sing songs without watching the clock. Make time to play without worrying what people will think about the state of your house. Take advantage of those "little moments" because that is what makes up the majority of our lives, and they pass all too quickly.
3 Months
-When the baby is sleeping, mama should be sleeping. Especially when baby is up 12 times a night. I didn't do this enough. Oh how I long for sleep...
4 Months
-Learn to be in tune with your baby. Your baby was sent to you for a reason and you are entitled to inspiration on how to raise that baby. Don't get too hung up on everyone else's advice and what so and so's baby is doing right now. Trust your gut.
5 Months
- On the other hand, don't be afraid to take others advice sometimes. Doing so won't make you less of a mom or mean that you don't know what you are doing. Just make sure it's something you feel good about.
6 Months
-You can function on a lot less sleep than you think you can. 
-Babies have a certain outfit that they will have blowouts in every.single.time. you put them in it. Just stop putting them in it.
7 months
-It's not how the baby gets here that matters - - its the love that you give him or her once they are here that does.
8 months
- Keep things simple. Todays world is so full of e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. Ways to make your child smarter - toys that flash, sing and dance for your entertainment - movies that teach your child for you - How to improve "this" and how to get rid of "that"... Sometimes it is pretty intimidating to raise a kid in this world and try to keep up with all that is out there. But do you ever notice how a kid will spend 30 seconds playing with that "brain-enhancing" toy you just bought, but then carry your keys or chapstick around for hours? I've just learned that simpler is better. And for some reason I find myself applying this in all areas of raising miss Hadley. When I am faced with a dilemma or a question, my mind automatically thinks "well how did people used to do it? before they had ____?" Usually that gets me the answer I am looking for and helps me to keep a "back to the basics" way of thinking.
- I can't have my newborn baby in a crib. I just can't do it. I think its some weird thing in my DNA.. because it feels physically impossible.
9 Months
-We, as women, are pretty darn judgmental and I wish we would stop comparing ourselves to everyone else. Take breastfeeding for example. I love it - I really really do. I hope to breastfeed everyone of my children, and I don't plan on stopping at a year. And I really think that it is the best option out there if it is an option. But that doesn't mean that if a mom gives her baby formula she is less of a mom. It doesn't mean that I am a better mom because I do nurse my baby. We need to stop beating ourselves and other people up just because they're lives are different than ours.
10 months
- Cloth diapering is so much better than I ever thought it would be
- Always, always, always carry a second outfit, even after the "blow out" stage has passed. Because the one time you don't, you will need one.
11 months
- Families are so incredibly important and vital to our children and our society. This year has taught me, more than ever, how important the role of a mother and father are.
Almost 12 months

3 comments:

in morse code said...

Gems! all of it! you are such a great mom! thanks for all of your advice. So nice to be doing this with people who have done it before me especially YOU! Happy birthday hadley!

Kristin said...

happy birthday hadley!!! :) This was a beautiful post. I loved all of it. Esp. #8

smwaters said...

Happy Birthday, Hadley! We love you being in our family. As Presley would say, I ---- U.