“Because She Is a Mother”


I came across this beautiful talk by Elder Holland while reading a twin blog that I love. I couldn't help but be extremely moved by it. It's easy when it comes to raising kids to get discouraged and feel like you simply can't do it anymore. You keep moving, of course, because there is no other choice, but the drive and the strength seem non-existent. 5-6 months of straight teething will do that to you. I've also found myself at times feeling frustrated that my work as a stay-at-home-mom is not as important because I am not bringing in money and there are plenty of days I can't even keep my house in order. Please don't misunderstand me - I am so grateful for this blessing of having Hadley in my life. I would not trade what I have for anything in the world, and I mean that will all my heart. But sometimes, through the ups and the downs, the downs can be a little deep and the climb back up is pretty steep. So I am grateful for beautiful and inspiring words like these that give the the strength and renewed outlook that I need to continue giving this all I've got. Because no matter how discouraged I get, I can remember that this is God's work. What an awesome truth that is.

It only took me about 5-10 minutes to read it. Please take some time and see what stands out to you - It is a fantastic self-esteem boost.

Click here for the talk.

4 comments:

derek and kimber said...

I am going to read that talk when I am not on my phone reading it.. But please know that you are not alone in those feelings. I think every mother - at some point - feels those feelings. Or even just the opposite because they ARE NOT home with their baby. I think being human, we are quick to judge ourselves when in all reality - could you picture a better mother? I know I couldn't. She is my best friend and the person I look up to most. I know Hadley will feel the same because you are AMAZING. Don't ever forget how wonderful you are and how much that little one adores you. :)

Kat said...

I needed this today. OH how I needed this. The first week has been tough and I know that the rest of my son's life will bring different challenges along the way. Thanks Danica, you're an inspiration!

The Ferrons said...

Dani, You are one of my favorite bloggers! I have been struggling with this EXACT thing this past week. Thank you for sharing your feelings and this amazing talk. I think as mothers we don't give our selves enough credit most of the time. You're amazing!

Steph said...

reminds me of one of my favorite mormon messages check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbYLKVgwztY