19 Books {Update: 20 Books!}

My goal this year was to read 50 books - I made it to 19. Plus the 3 that I am in the middle of.. So lets count those as 1 whole book. Which means we can then pretend I made it to 20. I say that is pretty good considering the fact that a) I haven't read a book for pleasure (besides listening to Harry Potter, of course) since who even knows when - thanks to school, and b) I have had a mobile child that doesn't like me to pay attention to anything but her for about 3/4 of the year. Pretty darn good. This was such a fun goal and I am excited to see what my total is this next year. Maybe I will lower it and shoot for 25.. And to keep with tradition, here are the last 4 books I have read:

Tattoos on the Heart
By Gregory Boyle

This book deserves it's own post. It needs it's own post. I think this was one of the best books I read this year, if not ever. It was incredible and I will be reading it again. It's stories told by a "pastor working in a neighborhood with the highest concentration of murderous gang activity in Los Angeles." I have never been taught more about "loving thy neighbor" or becoming more Christlike in a book (besides the scriptures, ha) than I have in this one. Please do yourself a favor and check it out.

Unbearable Lightness
By Portia De Rossi

This one is also up there on my favorites of this year. It was a little haunting to read from the mind of someone with an eating disorder like hers. But it was so good to remind myself how twisted your way of thinking can become. It forced me back onto a track of a more healthy attitude towards food, exercise, and body image. Loved it.

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands
By Dr. Laura Schelssinger

I put off reading this book for years because the title bugged me. I was kind of annoyed that it said "husbands" instead of "spouses." But after about the 3rd or 4th recommendation I decided to get it. It taught great principles of becoming more selfless in your marriage and having respect for one another. I really, really liked it actually. I think it's one to read multiple times.

Divergent
By Veronica Roth

I just finished this one today! Talk about last minute. But it was so good! I was hooked from the beginning till the end and I can't wait for the next book to come out. It's another one of those dystopian society books that are becoming so popular, but it was different enough from the others that I wasn't bugged by it.

There you have it. 19 (plus 3 half) books. I am actually proud of myself for sticking with this goal for the whole year. And it makes me more excited for the books I will read next year!

**Update**
Turns out I forgot a book, so I did actually read 20! Ye-ah! The one I forgot was:


The Book Thief 
By Markus Zusak
The fact that I forgot about it is not an indicator of what I thought about the book. It was wonderful and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I loved that it is written different than any other book I have read. The book is written from Death's perspective during the Holocaust. Check it out!
  

1 comment:

Dave and Lizzie said...

You've officially motivated me. Thanks for your reviews. I really want to read these now!