Yeah. This.


I really needed this today. I needed to hear someone fight and tell the world why I feel like my job here at home with my baby is important. I regularly beat myself up over the fact that I have a college degree, and yet I'm not bringing in any income. Jake works full time and then goes to school in order to finish and graduate college. And then he will go on and continue to work and use his education. And there is a good chance I will still be home - raising kids. It's hard to see women - moms - my age graduated and working in their "field." To see the satisfaction and accomplishment they feel from it. To see them bringing home a paycheck. Because in my line of work, there isn't a paycheck. There isn't a boss to say "hey, you're doing a good job. Keep it up." In my line of work there are bills to be paid, groceries to be bought, floors to be swept 14 times a day, noses to be wiped, meals to be made, dishes to be done lessons to be taught, and kisses to be given. But none of that results in some sort of income to help support our family. I have this burning desire and love for the education I received and I would love to be doing something that incorporated that. But I know where I am supposed to be - and I know where I want to be. And that is with Hadley.

No matter whatever downsides there are to staying at home, and no matter what ridicule there might be from it, I could not be more grateful for this job that I have. I have so many things I want to teach Hadley - and certain ways that I want those things taught - and I have the opportunity to do just that. There is not anything I would rather spend my time and energy on more than raising a family and supporting my marriage with Jake. But sometimes it's good to hear someone else say that too. Just to know that someone else sees that I do work hard. And what I am doing is worth something.

8 comments:

rachel! said...

Love :)

Alea said...

AMEN!

Brittany said...

I love this! I'm not a stay at home mommy yet but I hope to be! I just had this conversation with my hubby this morning about my reasons for wanting to stay home when the time comes :)

Ashley said...

Dani,
I have a job and I use my degree and it does bring me a lot of satisfaction. However, I would give it up in a milisecond if it meant I could stay home with a little doll as cute as yours. I know your life isn't glamorous, but it is the most important job in the world. But I know I don't need to tell you that. I need to tell you how much I LOVE your blog. I love it because most "mom" blogs leave me feeling depressed because I don't have that blessing (being a mom) in my life. You however always post things that remind me to be happy about the little things, to love myself for myself, and to make the most of what we're given. You are such an incredible girl!

Carlie said...

It bothers me that the lady even dared to say being a stay at home mom is a luxury too. She's crazy! I think being at home with your kids is important and you choose to make sacrifices of that's what you really want. It's what I want to do when we have kids! And you're doing a fantastic job with Hadley! :). And I can't delete while commenting on my phone do that of up there is supposed to be if.

Jessie said...

I was just talking about this with my husband last night! What is with working women pitting against stay-at-home women? It's like there's an unnecessary war going on! We're all just as valuable. Thanks for the link!

And I think it takes lots of talent and education to raise children. There's a reason children typically come one at a time into a family: it's because it takes a lot of time and love and dedication to raise each and every one! That's one reason I stay at home. And I feel very lucky that my husband provides enough to let me do it.

Katie said...

I have the same degree as you, Danica, and a young daughter. I love what I do, but I wish I could just be home with her. I feel the exact same way about being a huge member and outspoken advocate of the Deaf community, going to every event and presenting at workshops. However, I have chosen to not do those things so I can dedicate as much time as humanly possible with Sophie. Sometimes the hardest choices in life are between two good things.

Jenna said...

Thanks for linking to my blog, Dani. So glad to see other stay-at-home moms rallying together on this issue!