January can suck it. I can say that, right? Those 31 days were not a great indicator of things to come in 2013.

Trials are a funny thing. We fight them so much but they are the very thing that makes us into the people we are meant to be. I heard a quote a while back - it said "you are not what has happened to you. You are what you choose to be." It stressed to me how important my attitude during any given trial is. We get set in our routines and set in our ways to the point where it is so hard to break out of those molds. What a blessing these trying times in our lives are because they give us a chance to change. During the hardest times, the times we wish we could rush through, we are softened and humbled. The hardness of our habits and lifestyles becomes shapeable once more. But only for a short time - that is why our attitude towards trials is so key. We have the choice of who we will become and how we will re-shape our lives after something has happened to us. But the choice needs to be made quickly before we begin to "set" soon after. We can choose to either use those trials to our advantage and mold ourselves into a better person, or choose to become a victim of our trial.

I want to be the one who changes. Who, during this humbling time of being softened and molded, I see the weaknesses in myself and choose to change them. Rather than fight every hard thing that comes my, I want to see this "moldable time" as an opportunity rather than a chance to complain and dwell in my sadness. I want to dwell more in hope.



2 comments:

Danica Holdaway said...

Girl amen. I just wrote a post about this too. I hope your month goes better. I've been loving your inspirational quotes. Keep Em comin! :)

Dave and Lizzie said...

I needed this today. Thank you. I hope February is a better month for you. I agree, January is generally a super crappy month. I think I need a kid or two of mine to be born in January, just so there can be something to celebrate during that dreary month.